Mosquitoes, the innocuous tiny creatures have been functional since the prehistoric times when huge dinosaurs roamed the earth. The entomologists never cease to marvel at the adaptability of this pest that thrived by sucking blood of various species. Humans all over the world are being preyed upon daily by these tiny blood sucking agents and unable to get rid of them once and for all. Statistics reveal the shocking fact of hundreds of different mosquito species being operational in USA alone. It is indeed a shocking fact as they happen to be the carriers of deadly diseases and can pass them on to you within seconds.
First things first though! You should be able to identify your enemy properly before trying to take effective measures.
Behavior of Mosquitoes
Scientists have unraveled facts about specific species that bite their victims only during the night time, others are active just before dawn while yet others akin to the deadly ‘Aedes Albopictus’ mosquito buzz around both day and night trying to find their source of blood.
Trying to locate the ones that will victimize you is not an easy task though. You can check out a number of facts common to almost every type of mosquito instead. This will definitely give you an edge over your enemies where you end up trapping and extinguishing them effectively.
How the Mosquito trap works
Armed with the knowledge of how a female mosquito locates its prey, the traps use a combination of UV light, built in suction fan and an electric grid to lure then zap the mosquitoes. The mimicking of human exhalation, breath and a sweaty odor are all irresistible for the mosquito, hence the correct placement of the mosquito trap is of utmost importance. However, the understanding of mosquitoes remains incomplete as there are more than 3,500 species where mosquitoes adapt and evolve over time to their environment.
Rules of the Thumb
– A clever positioning can be done by placing the trap as close to their resting area but considerably away from the grass and foliage.
– It is also important to place it in a position that is upwind of the breeding grounds where the CO2 can flow thereby attracting them in hordes.
Guidelines for proper placement of mosquito traps
– Placing your trap in the right location is of immense importance. You will be amazed that how the little devils cluster around the trap instead of you. Check out the guidelines below for the best results and enjoy a mosquito free life.
– Be patient enough to track and discover their breeding ground. Check the bushes and shrubs as well as your patio and balcony for the tiny insects.
– Test extensively by placing your mosquito trap in the location of your choice and lie in wait. Check and see the number of mosquitoes buzzing in the area. You would have found a good place for baiting the mosquitoes, if the number is more than a dozen.
– Placing the trap too close to the ground is an absolute no. Experts recommend a minimum height of 30 to 40 inches above the ground for best results.
– Find out other high CO2 zones and keep the trap as far away as possible. Also remember to keep it away from direct light and wind sources.
– Placing the mosquito trap near flowers or other sources of nectar may help you to trap an additional number of mosquitoes.